Thursday, March 3, 2011

To mentor or to not mentor, that is the question

I am about to move onto a new job.  This involves some pretty major movement, both physically and professionally.  Up to this point in my career, I have done a lot of work to build my resume, build my skillset, and learn whatever I could, but it has all been me.

Over the past year, I have reached a couple major professional milestones and I have begun to make a shift toward gaining more from others than from outside sources.  For the first time, I have had a professional mentor...but I haven’t got a much from it as I have wanted.  The advice I have received has reinforced the efforts I have made over the past few years, but beyond that our conversations have been flat.  I wonder how much of this has been my arrogance built from the work I have done or other things...and that worries me.  

A mentor is someone with whom you can be honest, someone who helps you grow, and someone you use to challenge yourself.  But as with any relationship, it is bidirectional.  I have to have expectations of the mentor and as a mentee I need to seek out those challenges.  Knowing this, how do I take advantage of future mentorships?  Or do I even jump into a new mentorship in my new job?

In reflecting on this, I think I have to seek out a new mentor when I move on. If I want to grow as a person, I have to challenge myself to get the most of these relationships.  Also, if I have any desire to be a good mentor myself one day, I need to spend time as a good mentee.  Beyond this, there is little left I can do for professional growth without guidance and pressure than I cannot provide myself.

Are all relationships supposed to be this difficult?

No comments:

Post a Comment