Thursday, March 10, 2011

A fresh definition of being old

I think I have a new definition of being old: when you just stop trying to learn new things.  I remember my grandmother had white hair and a slight frame, but the physical elements of her being didn’t convey her age nearly as much as her attitudes towards the newness of life.  

This may all read as some youthful, idealistic, rosy-colored view of life, but I hope not.  I know several seasoned individuals that take opportunities to learn new skills, engage in fresh adventures (however risk-laden or not they are), and maintained a steady hunger for knowledge.  I guess I see “old” as being a loss of that curiosity and desire.

Where I see this most evident is with computers.  When I think “old” I think of people who stay away from computing or blame computers for the ills of our society with little experience or knowledge of their capabilities.  Yet, what concerns me most is the inability to recognize that prejudice.  And as with everything else I seem to learn about this ordinary life I ask myself how I will overcome this potential pitfall.

I wonder if I will maintain my open-mindedness and my constant level of inquisitivity. I would like to think that the complexities of technology, social interactions, and politics will be engaging even as my body continues to deteriorate.  And I would hope I am able to recognize, or be surrounded by people who will recognize for me, when those sparks begin to fade, so I can do something about it or slow the progression.

Although, I do know that at some point we all have to get old...and “old.”

No comments:

Post a Comment