Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The curse of Nostalgia

I was just thinking about nostalgia.  It really is a funny and cursed thing.  We often reminisce about days past, friends we spent time with, activities and events...good times.

For me, nostalgia takes root in the feelings I experienced in those times.  Whether it was the fun and free spirited times of my college days or the warm cozy nights spent in my first condo...all 555 square feet of it.  I can’t put a finger on the exact feeling or even begin to attempt to describe it, but what I do know is how my heart feels when I am touched with just small taste of wonderful times.

However, this then brings me to the realization that I will continue to feel these longings of past victories and joy as I move forward in my life.  And beyond the takeaways of sights, smells, and memories, when will the nostalgia set in for this moment.  When will I feel an emptiness in my heart when I think about this bed, this tv, and the cat laying next to me.

It really is a curse.  I for one am not the type, though I truly wish I were, to be able to live each moment and savor.  I am the type that needs to analyze, reflect, and look back.  It isn’t until an undetermined amount of time has past that I can fully take in the beauty, joy, and wonder of even the smallest of items...and those nuggets of beauty always seem to be there.

Yet, in thinking about it, the curse of nostalgia could be worse.  What if I didn’t even have that cling to?  I think I will stick with what I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment